THE CASTLE RESTORED
With the Unification of Italy (1861), Milan and its Castle could recover the cultural and public function that has been characterizing the city until our days. Architect Luca Beltrami was entrusted with the reconstruction and restoration of the old fortress. What remained of the old fortifications outside the building was demolished, new moats were dug around the castle, the Rocchetta and the Boa tower were restored and the upper part of the round towers reconstructed. The Filarete tower was completely rebuilt and unveiled in 1905. The Castle was given back to the city of Milan and destined to house museums and libraries.